Ryan Dickson

#95475782 / gettyimages.com

Ryan Dickson is an English left back who was born on December 14th 1986 in Saltash. He joined Plymouth Argyle as a youngster and made his debut on October 16th 2004 as a substitute in a Championship contest with Wigan. He made his first senior start just three days later in a 1-0 win at Rotherham. He played just one further game during the 2004/05 season.

Dickson would have to wait until December 30th 2006 for his next Plymouth appearance, which came at Derby. He played two more games in January for The Pilgrims, before being spending six months on loan at League 2 strugglers Torquay. He scored his first ever professional goal during his loan at Plainmoor when he netted for The Gulls in a 5-2 defeat at Notts County.

Dickson was loaned to Brentford in November 2007, where he impressed Andy Scott enough to be offered a permanent deal the following season. Dickson played 43 times during 2008/09 and was one of the clubs best performers as The Bees finished the League 2 campaign as champions. Dickson scored the winning penalty in a Football League Trophy match against Yeovil. He found the step up to League 1 in 2009/10 no problem, featuring 32 times for a Brentford side that finished in 9th place.

Dickson signed for Southampton in June 2010 when his Brentford contract expired. A fee of £125,000 was decided by tribunal, with a further £25,000 for every 10 appearances Dickson makes until he's played 40 games. Brentford would also stand to receive a further £25,000 if Southampton were promoted within 3 years, as well as 20% of Dickson's next transfer fee.

Dickson lined up for Southampton on the left side of midfield for his debut in the opening day defeat to Plymouth. Most of his appearances after that day came from the bench, as Dan Harding was preferred at left back. After a poor performance from Harding at Carlisle in November, Dickson was given a start against former club Brentford in December, in a match which saw Southampton put in one of their worst performances of the season, losing 2-0. After Dickson performed badly at Tranmere and gifted Manchester United a goal in the FA Cup in January, the full back fell out of favour and rarely featured. That was until April, when he was given a start in a 2-0 win over Charlton. He ended the season in fine form, and scored in the promotion clinching match at former club Plymouth on May 2nd.

Dickson was limited to just Carling Cup appearances for Saints during 2011/12, as Danny Fox was brought in as a new left back. In January 2012 he signed a loan deal with Yeovil. Dickson scored in his third appearance for the Glovers; a 3-2 defeat at Bury. In February he joined fellow League 1 strugglers Leyton Orient. He was sent off twice for the O's in a 9 match spell.

Dickson made a handful of U21 appearances at the start of the 2012/13 season. He scored in a friendly against Brighton in August, but soon disappeared from view. Dickson joined League 2 side Bradford on loan in January. He scored for the Bantams in his third outing, but missed out on a potential League Cup Final start at Wembley after suffering a nasty injury, which would keep him out for the rest of the season. He was released by Southampton in June 2013.